Newsletter 29th June 2017



To our Women’s team, who picked up the first round cup in their competition on Saturday, for the first time in a few years!
Games played: 9
Wins: 9
Points for: 494
Points against: 66


RJ Civil, who have employed a fair few Varisty players over the last few years for summer work, are in need of some labourers for an immediate start. If you’re short of cash and have the time, give John Airey a yell –


18th July – Team Photos

22nd July – Party Bus Trip

16th Sept – Prizegiving


Div 1 vs New Brighton, Ilam 1, 2:45pm

Div 2 vs Marist Albion, Ilam 1, 1:00pm

Div 3 vs Whati Otautahu, Ilam 3, 2.45pm

Women vs HSOB, Bob Deans 1, 2:45pm

Colts Prem vs Burnside, Burnside, 1:00pm

Colts vs BYE


Team – Div 3

Bar Manager – Hannah Rodrigues

Lock Up – Lofty

Please note team duty is slightly different to previous years as we have staff manning the bar. However, duty teams are still expected to:

1) stock the fridge

2) clear away  empty bottles and glasses

3) stack empty crates out in the chiller

4) be on hand to help with wiping down tables and putting up chairs at the end of the night

Thank you for you help with this as it makes life much easier for all concerned.


At Burnside Park: University 34 (Brad Hemopo 2, Caleb Aperahama, Seamus Bardoul, Trent Lawn, Jared Mitchell tries; Bardoul conv, Myles Thoroughgood conv) beat Burnside 27 (Phil Henderson, Cam Russell, Kane Findlay, Mitch Ellis tries; Dave Smith 2 conv, pen). HT: 17-22. Referee: Kane McBride.
Cometh the hour, cometh the man.
University captain Brad Hemopo didn’t quite work miracles but he was the charismatic figure in an amazing match, thrusting his side to a come-from-behind win against a buoyant Burnside. The imposing No.8 put University into the lead for the first time 5min from the end with a pushover try. Then he made the last of a series of rampaging runs to put reserve halfback Jared Mitchell across with time up on the clock.
How cruel it was for Burnside. They made an important step forward at the end of the third quarter when left wing Mike Rasmussen made a searing break and reserve halfback Mitch Ellis showed prescience and pace to take the try.
But University kept turning the heat up through the forwards and the home side could not hold them out. Three minutes into the match the cry went up: “Pringle’s on fire!” Pringle is the nickname of Burnside captain Phil Henderson, who could not have dreamed of a better start. Fullback Dave Smith made a huge break up the middle and the rangy Henderson burst onto the ball to score a stunning try. Just a minute later the 24-year-old lock was striding out like a three-quarter again to put No.7 Cam Russell across.
Five minutes later right wing Kane Findlay, a dangerous runner, popped up towards the left and a deft pass slipped him through. Findlay speared his way to the line. The home crowd went wild.
Last week Burnside went 80min without scoring a try, although they deserved at least one. This time they had three tries in 8min and were out to 19-0. Once University realised the match had actually begun, they set about trying to redress the imbalance. At the end of the first quarter, Caleb Aperahama was over after a driving maul. The big lock went on to complete a huge game in all respects.
Then Hemopo carved his way through for his first try before second-five Seamus Bardoul showed both strength and guile to score 8min later. It was a minor mystery why Bardoul, also a useful goalkicker, was subbed off early in the second half.
Hooker Trent Lawn got University level at 22-22 after sustained pressure by the University pack 15min into the second half before Rasmussen pulled his timely stunt for Burnside.
In an often-bruising match, University No.6 Morgyn Cowan kept storming at the Defensive line throughout.
Hawkins Medal (MVP): Brad Hemopo (University) 3, Caleb Aperahama (University) 2, Phil Henderson (Burnside) 1.

WOMEN – 110 – 5 win vs Burnside


DIV 2 – 22-15 loss to Sydenham

DIV 3 TIGERS – 36 – 10 loss to Christchurch



An under-manned UC Prems Colts played in an away game against New Brighton on Saturday with only 3 reserves and a number of players playing out of position.

After a convincing start on defence and attack, the score was 5-0 to New Brighton after 20 minutes. After that the nightmare started with 2 concussion injuries to our first-five eight, Sefton and Second-five, Tevita. This resulted in a reshuffle of the team as a few forwards had to join the backline as 2 of our reserves were predominantly forwards-orientated.

With 10 minutes left till half-time another injury came with our fullback going down with a foot injury – which led to another reshuffle. We let a few easy tries in and headed into the break behind 20-0.

Coming into the second half we came out firing and spread the ball wide which resulted in Hamish Watson diving over in the corner for our only try of the match. New Brighton then took advantage of the situation and ran in a fair number of tries offloading in the tackle very well.
Final Score: New Brighton 67-5 University

COLTS RESERVE – Default loss to Christchurch


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s