UCRFC Newsletter 22nd June 2017



To Braydon Ennor on winning the U20 World Championships in Georgia. Also to Sam Godwin who was Vice Captain for Canterbury in their Ranfurly Shield victory against Wanganui last night, and of course Kendra Cocksedge who has been in action for the Black Ferns over the last few weeks.


RJ Civil, who have employed a fair few Varisty players over the last few years for summer work, are in need of some labourers for an immediate start. If you’re short of cash and have the time, give John Airey a yell – johnairey@rjcivil.co.nz


18th July – Team Photos

22nd July – Party Bus Trip

16th Sept – Prizegiving


Div 1 vs Burnside, Burnside 1, 2:45pm

Div 2 vs Sydenham, Ilam 1, 1:00pm

Div 3 vs Christchurch, Christchurch 2, 1:00pm

Women vs Burnside, Ilam 3, 1:00pm

Colts Prem vs New Brighton, Rawhiti 1, 1:00pm

Colts vs Christchurch, Christchurch 2, 2:45pm


Team – Div 2

Bar Manager – Hannah Rodrigues

Lock Up – John Wright

Please note team duty is slightly different to previous years as we have staff manning the bar. However, duty teams are still expected to:

1) stock the fridge

2) clear away  empty bottles and glasses

3) stack empty crates out in the chiller

4) be on hand to help with wiping down tables and putting up chairs at the end of the night

Thank you for you help with this as it makes life much easier for all concerned.


At Ilam 1: Christchurch 26 (Fraser Scott try, penalty try; Dan Dorgan conv, 3 pen, dg) beat
University 25 (Harry Ferguson, Nic Brooker, Jonny van der Velde tries; Seamus Bardoul 2 conv, 2
pen) HT: 16-17. Referee: Blair Barclay.
In the final wash up, University will see this clash as the one that got away as they let slip a golden opportunity to atone for their Cup loss to Christchurch earlier in the season.
After a slow start which saw the red-and-blacks lead 10-0, University surged back into the contest with three well-taken tries to take the match by the scruff of the neck.
But a lack of match smarts late in the contest saw Christchurch steal a win despite being outplayed. After a Christchurch opened the scoring through a Dan Dorgan penalty, they extended that lead to 10 points 3min later when wing Fraser Scott regathered his own chip for a well-taken try from 40m out.
University got on the board 5min later when openside flanker Harry Ferguson caught the Christchurch defence short on the right flank after a strong burst down the sideline.
Nic Brooker put the students in front a few minutes later when he showed some nifty footwork off his left foot and showed blinding pace to cut through Christchurch’s defence on the left and with Seamus Bardoul’s boot on song they led 14-10.
Dorgan and Bardoul traded a succession of penalties leading into half-time which saw University hold a narrow 17-16 lead. Bardoul extended the host’s lead to four with a penalty on 50min before halfback Jonny van der Velde completed a sweeping movement when he burrowed over in the left corner.
Trailing by nine points with less than 15min to go, time was of the essence for Christchurch and they set about getting themselves in the right areas of the field when they camped themselves in University’s 22m and when they were awarded a 5m scrum they applied the pressure. With 10min to go they got a maul rolling close to the line and University pulled it down leaving the referee no option but to award a penalty try which set up a tense finish.
Christchurch now had a fearlessness about their play with University increasingly looking edgy as the red-and-black wave surged with a breakout down the right-hand touch which looked like netting them another try before poor handling let University off the hook.
The reprieve was short-lived though. They failed to exit after making an error from the ensuing scrum which gave Christchurch an opportunity with 3min left. After a series of phases, Dorgan popped back into the pocket and potted the dropped goal from 20m
out to give Christchurch a 26-25 lead. University had one last chance. They spread the ball from sideline to sideline with no effect before a knock-on sealed their fate.
Dorgan was key for Christchurch as not only did he pot the winning dropped goal but he also was 100 per cent from the tee to keep his side in touch. His composure was the difference as he produced some deft touches to get Christchurch on attack at crucial stages in the last quarter. Wings Fraser Scott and Atu Manu looked dangerous with ball in hand, while up front Christchurch’s pack hunted together and had the edge at scrum time.
For University, Brooker was a standout with his try a highlight of their afternoon.
Brad Hemopo and Ferguson were strong at the breakdown for University which saw them gain a number of turnovers at crucial times.
Hawkins Medal (MVP): Dan Dorgan (Christchurch) 3, Nic Brooker (University) 2, Atu Manu
(Christchurch) 1.

WOMEN – 87 – 5 win vs Sydenham



Yams continue to Finnish the first round in style

The 10th match of the Yams regular season was yet another away fixture, this time on Bob  Deans Park against High School Old Boys. The two sides had met in pre-season, with the jersey-pullers claiming a tight victory in an injury-ridden affair. The Yams however, would go into the match as slight favourites on the back of a bonus point win against Linwood the previous week that propelled them into the top 4. With Captain Jamie Verstappen and manager Adam Lill both on lions duties, reshuffling of both players and management was required. Henry Boon appointed the captaincy and coaches Jared Brixton and Douglas Tauiwi both believed the time was right for them both to make their first appearance of the season. That left assistant manager and technical advisor Jaden Wallace to stand in as head coach, an opportunity he’d been looking forward to since the first time he was given a clipboard.

The conditions were suited to running rugby and that was exactly what the Yams did from the first minute. Throughout the first quarter, the Yams played exactly to their playbook and HSOB were stunned with the speed and accuracy of the entire Yams XV. The first tries came after just 3 minutes with freshly promoted right winger Adrian Pitman crossing the line for the first time in 2017. Kensei Kobayashi scored the Yams second moments later after a strong carry off the back of the ruck. After forgetting to bring his kicking boots, Jussi Viljanen took it upon himself to create the Yams next two tries. The first of these coming after a clean break from within his own half before linking up with Fraser Bryant who galloped over for the Yams third. Viljanen was again able to coast through the opposition defense in what looked like an action replay; this time however able to finish it off himself. HSOB struck back just before the break to bring the halftime score to 22-5.

HSOB were the first team score in the second stanza; however the Yams struck right back through Josh Bee who was rewarded for mammoth effort he’d put in all game. HSOB scored their third try from long range to bring the score within two converted tries with 15 minutes to play. A long-range penalty from Jamie Newman that looked to be sailing over, hit the crossbar and 47-cap veteran Ryan Lill was millimetres from getting his hands on the ball off the rebound in what would have been a spectacular opportunistic try. The Yams were still able to pin the opposition in their own half and a mistake lead to Tom Paton scoring his 3rd try of the season to bring the score to 36-17 where it would ultimately remain.

Final Score: 36-17 win vs HSOB

Tries: Adrian Pitman. Kensei Kobayashi, Fraser Bryant, Jussi Viljanen, Josh Bee, Tom Paton

Conversion: Jussi Viljanen (1/4), Jamie Newman (2/2)

Penalties: Jamie Newman (0/1)


Man of the Match: Jussi Viljanen

DIV 3 TIGERS – 45 – 17 loss vs Marist Albion Beacons


The University Premier Colts came up against Linwood at home on Saturday.

Coming into the game University Premier Colts comparison in size to the Linwood team was respectively smaller. Not letting intimidation take place the University Colts Prems came out firing. Really contesting in defence up front and out back. The team showed spirit in making over majority of their tackles and sticking to their defensive structure. Making it very hard for the Linwood side to get through which reflected in the end score.

The thick of the points came from both forwards and backs. Forwards up front winning lineout ball with their signature play of pushing over the line for a few tries gave them confidence in out muscling their opposition. The backs showed hard carrying in the mid field through to highflying pace in the back three. The consistency in both passing and defence in the whole team really shined through.

The University Prems showed overall dominance. Getting their heads up which allowed them to have belief and trust in one another to secure and spread the ball on the field. As we seen in a try fest in the second half with backs and forwards getting the ball to our outsides showing some highflying fast paced footy.

Converting the tries was a key aspect to such a high scoring game. Harrison McPhail was on form slotting them out front through to the outsides. Not taking pressure off towards the end allowed University Prems to get over for an very convincing win of 66 to 17. Player of the day went to Sefton Mason.

Also we would just like to mention in paying respect to the lost one for the Linwood team. Our thoughts are with their family and friends.


Colts development played against Lincoln on Saturday. The boys had to change the way we approached the game especially after last weeks performance against CBHS. We started the game off really well making our first up tackles and dominating the rucks, unfortunately they scored an easy try as we started to slip off our tackles. We went back and camped in our opposition’s half for awhile and piled a lot of pressure onto them. Soon our opposition cracked as Sam McMillan took a dart around the blind side showing tremendous power as he pushes himself over for a try to give us a 7-5 lead.

The boys started the second half just like the first as we let in an easy try due to us falling off our first up tackles. The boys received some stern words in our huddle from our senior players in hope of lifting up our game and it showed as we scored on the other end with Abel Gore, crashing and bashing his way through our oppositions defence narrowing the score line to 15-12. With 6 minutes to go, the boys dug deep and gave it our all. With good go forward by Sam McMillan and Gus Barrier, the backs were able to get clean ball and therefore we were able to split their defence wide open. With about 2 minutes left on the clock, Abel Gore again crashed his way over, almost identical to his first, giving us a narrow win 17-15 over Lincoln.

Player of the day went to Abel.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s