Congratulations to our Womens Team, the Viperettes, for winning their third final in a row, narrowly beating Christchurch 20-19 for the win against the Red and Blacks this season.

Well done Ladies!


Seriously last chance!

Tickets for our UC Netball & UC Rugby Annual Dinner & Prizegiving are on sale THIS SATURDAY from 6pm at The Clubrooms.
$45pp – Cash only please
Silks Lounge, Addington Raceway
Saturday 10th September
Doors open 5.15pm
Formalities begin 6pm sharp.
We hope to see another great turnout from our UC teams.
Live Band, awesome food (three course meal), great company!!

Check out the facebook page

Friendly reminder

If you have people pick you up from the Clubrooms on a saturday night then please don’t use the the gravel driveway. Please use the sealed driveway so we can keep a good relationship with the Waimari Village residents.



Saturday night was an awesome Clubrooms night and credit has to go to Charlotte and Kieran for organising the Pong Champs event!

Winning team was ‘Splash Brothers’ consisting of Jamie Verstappen and Nic Brooker.









10th of September – Prizegiving



Team –Div 2

Bar Manager –Kieran

Lock Up – Brick


DRAW 06-08-16


Div 3 – Contesting the Plate Final vs Marist Albian – 2.45pm at Edgar MacIntosh 1.

Colts vs Christchurch Boys High 2 XV – 2.45pm, Ilam 1



Marist Albion 41 beat University 34

Marist Albion prevailed 41-34 (five tries apiece) in an excellent game of footie approached  in a fast, open, hard, yet good-spirited manner by both teams.

The home team kicked off and immediately went on to the attack, putting Marist Albion under pressure for 20min, coming at them hard from all quarters.

University got out to 15-0 with a try to Rob Sullivan 10min in, converted by Brad Hemopo. That was followed by a penalty to Hemopo and a try to Braydon Ennor.

The students were making all the play, putting the visitors, who were scrambling and looking decidedly shaken, under the hammer.

Then Rowan O’Gorman invited himself into the match. Some assertive words and leading by example behaviour calmed his team down.  Marist Albion refocused and the second quarter belonged to them.

A relaxed referee, Jamie Nutbrown, was allowing play to flow and the players to showcase their skills.  After 28min the visitors took full toll of a penalty advantage that went seven phases and resulted in Charlie Gamble scoring beside the sticks. Tom Reekie converted.

Marist Albion were steaming now and rattling the students.  Finlay Christie saved a certain try when he somehow contrived to get under the ball and attackers in-goal.  Reekie kicked a penalty to close the gap to five.

O’Gorman crossed in the 40th min and with Reekie’s conversion the break came with the visitors ahead by two.

Marist Albion extended this shortly after half-time when a cross-field run by Chris Leader found O’Gorman lurking unmarked on the right-hand touch-line.  Reekie converted for 24–15.

The students struck back immediately when a lineout win and forward rumble propelled Elia Elia over under a pile of bodies.  Hemopo converted and the difference was again two.

The final quarter was fairly even with both sides playing positively as they probed for the `killer’ blow.

Reekie kicked a penalty for Marist Albion.  Then the visitors got a vital, yet humorous, try.

Hard on defence a University clearing kick from in-goal went hard and low into the navel of replacement prop Nathan Cassidy-Richards.  It somehow stuck and he fell over the line to score. Reekie converted for 34 -22.

University wouldn’t concede, coming back in the 65th min when Isaac Leota got into a gap sprinting 50m to dot down.  Hemopo converted and the difference was five with 15 to play.

Tidy visiting fullback Dan Fransen made a big dent in University’s cause, selling a couple of dummies as he began a 45m solo run to the goal-line.   Mr. 100% goal-kicker Reekie converted.

Twelve points down with 7min left on the clock and forced to play `catch up’ from their own territory proved too difficult a task for the students.

Industrious student flanker Morgyn Cowan scored the final points of an exciting match full of ball movement.

In the victorious Marist Albion side, the ubiquitous O’Gorman was a major influence,  Reekie’s goal kicking was a defining factor, Fransen was dangerous running from the back, Charlie Gamble (until he went off injured) kept the breakdown honest, Lock Gene Simmiss took a crucial line-out against the throw and left nothing in the tank.

In the `it’s not over till it’s’ over University team, Elia was dynamic taking the ball up, Sullivan was a potent force coming into the line, Leota made several penetrating runs, Caleb Aperahama was a force in the lineout and in the tight stuff, and Cowan was a very busy open-side who didn’t shirk the hard yards. 


Beat Christchurch 20-19 in the Trophy Final!



In the division two curtain-raiser, Sumner earned a 36 to 21 (6 tries to 3) success over University in a fast open match full of end to end action.

This was a bright entertaining game contested in an excellent spirit with both sides prepared to have a go from anywhere.

University led 14-12 at half-time.  However, they couldn’t add to their score until the 80th minute.  In the interim, the visitors ran in four tries to seal the victory with 10min to go.

Sumner notables were Josh Toy, a clever distributor, Portuguese prop Joao Corte, a powerful scrummager, elusive running centre Tyrone Toia, and second-half replacement Peri Mark.

For University, Fraser Bryant toiled hard from No-8, and the back three consisting of the Nesbitt brothers, Oscar and Jonty, and right wing Dan Hymand created some chaos when they decided to run.


The colts headed out to Christchurch Park Saturday afternoon with the aim of keeping the final hopes alive. Going into the game we knew Christchurch were going to be playing with a chip on their shoulders from the earlier match in the season.

Right from the kick off the Christchurch team got up off the line quickly and really dominated up front, a platform in which they built two tries from in the first half. The Rattlers were very dangerous when they actually moved the ball, somewhat a surprise when Man of the Match Trent Tipene stepped his away through the opposition backline on a 30m run to the try line.

At half time the boys were told to move the ball away from the big defence Christchurch had in close and to use the pace on the outsides. For the first 10min of the second half the Rattlers did just that and scored a great set piece try through Matt Little to take the lead.

By the 60 minute mark, the Rattlers were holding the lead but couldn’t capitalise on the opportunities presented to them, this was later punished with two tries to Christchurch through dominating forwards play again.

The game finished at 27-15 and ended this years run at the final. The Rattlers will have one more game this season against CBHS 2XV where they will be looking for payback on the round 1 result before signing of this season.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s