Newsletter Round 17 2016

Firstly a massive congratulations to Finlay Christie – Div 1 halfback who picked up two MVP points yesterday and is therefore the winner of this season’s Hawkins Medal for Most Valuable Player in the Div 1 Metro competition.
Well done and good luck for your stint with the Tasman Makos!


Congratulations to the Women’s Team making the Trophy Final, they are after their first three peat since the 1980’s which is awesome! Get on down to Rugby Park at 3pm to watch!

Also congratulations to the Div 1 Vipers as they play Marist in the Plate Final this Saturday at Ilam kicking off at 2.45pm



Click on this link to get your entries in for the upcoming Pong Champs being held this weekend on the 30th of July

Only space for 30 teams and the spots are filling up quick so don’t miss out!



Tickets for our UC Netball & UC Rugby Annual Dinner & Prizegiving are on sale THIS SATURDAY from 6pm at The Clubrooms.
They will also be available at the Clubrooms each Wednesday & Thursday throughout July from 5.30 – 6pm.

$45pp – Cash only please
Silks Lounge, Addington Raceway
Saturday 10th September
Doors open 5.15pm
Formalities begin 6pm sharp.
We hope to see another great turnout from our UC teams.
Live Band, awesome food (three course meal), great company!!

Check out the facebook page









30th of July – Beer Pong

10th of September – Prizegiving



Team –Colts

Bar Manager –Ange/Holly

Lock Up – Grimace


DRAW 30-07-16

Div 1 vs Marist – 2.45, Ilam

Women vs Christchurch – 3pm, Rugby Park

Div 2 vs Sumner – 1.00pm, Ilam.

Prem Colts – Season Finished

Div 3 – Bye

Colts vs Christchurch – 2.45pm, Christchurch Park



University 37 vs Sumner 15 

After a stern tussle in which both sides tried to play with purpose and pace, despite the blustery nor’wester, University were made to earn their (five tries to two), 37-15, victory against a Sumner side that was in the hunt until the final 10min.

Kicking off into the strong wind, the visitors were soon under pressure and following a couple of goal-line skirmishes, University flanker Ryan O’Sullivan received the ball and dived over in the corner. Soon after Brad Hemopo kicked a penalty for the students and it looked gloomy for Sumner.

Both sides decided on a ball in hand, run it at them approach, which created excitement because hard hits and the vagaries of the wind created lots of turnovers and switches from defence to attack in a blink.

At the end of the first quarter, following a series of penalties for not releasing in the tackle, University took a tap and Finlay Christie was on hand to dot down for Hemopo to convert and a 15-point advantage.

However, Sumner kept taking it back at the students and were rewarded in the 34thmin when, from close range, Reece McCaffrey wrong-footed the defence and glided in beside the posts. Nik Cumming converted for what was to be a half-time score of 15-7 to the home team.

Sumner lost a player to the bin at the 45thmin mark which didn’t aid their cause, although they registered the next points when Cumming slotted a penalty in the 53rd min. Hemopo landed one for the students 2min later to restore the eight-point advantage.

Sumner got to within five when Poasa Waqanibau carved up the University defence and put replacement Jarrod Hedley over wide out. The conversion missed but we had a three-point ball game with 15min to play.

Sumner started to create chances all over the park but couldn’t clinch it due to tremendous defensive pressure created by University in which Sam Godwin was into everything.

Sumner missed an easy penalty that would have tied it up, but then in the last 10min they possibly tried too hard to score.

University fed off some soft turnovers and wrong optio- taking to punish them with three tries, two converted by Hemopo, in the last 8min.  Finlay got his second when a rampaging charge by replacement Connor O’Leary smashed through the defence and the offload on the line was made and taken.

Isaac Leoto showed a clean pair of heels when he grabbed a turnover and sprinted 70m to touch down. In referee’s time Sumner fell off the tackles and Nigel Gibb went in after a long range solo run.

The standout player for University was Godwin. Accurate in everything he did on both attack, defence and support. Christie worked tirelessly in testing conditions and knew how to sniff out a try. Leota and Gibb were sound in the mid-ield and worked in tandem to good effect.

For Sumner, Tom Crozier did his core duties effectively and was prominent in defence and taking the pill forward. Lawrence Babe was a good contributor at lineout and go forward. Tu’uta Simalie featured in the action before being subbed. Centres Waqanibau and Wesley Mauafu made several piercing breaks.


Women – Courtesy of the CRFU website

The women’s Trophy semi-final between University and Suburbs was a cracker. Full of action and kept interest till the end. With the aid of the blustery nor’wester, University led, 28-15, at the break.

However, Suburbs had been giving as well as they got. Only a reluctance to close the gap defensively, allowing the students to build up a head of steam got them out to 21-0 in the first quarter.

The teams went to half-time with University having scored four tries and Suburbs three. The big difference being that Kendra Cocksedge converted four and Suburbs none.

After the break the visitors scored and converted to close the gap to six and it was all on. Then the wind faded away and tensions mounted. A fracas resulted in the referee having some stern words to the respective captains.

University showed their respect for the visitor by taking a penalty kick at goal. Then they scored a good try to reach their final tally of 36. Suburbs had the last word with an unconverted try and the final whistle came with University ahead, 36-27.

Both sides scored five tries and the difference was the goal-kicking. University notables were Cocksedge, Nicole Puoyon, Keilamarita Pouri-lane and replacement Hanna Poff.

Suburbs players who stood out were Sui Pauraisa, Keri Robertson, Sharntay Poku and Corrina Wylie.


Div 2 – Courtesy of Justin Rafton

The whirling winds above Ilam Field 4 proved a bad omen for the Yams, as they fell in an absolutely bizarre and frustrating outing to Shirley, 19-38. After naming a strong squad in an attempt to guarantee a final, the start was not ideal.

Within five minutes industrious lock Jonty Duncan went down with a shoulder dislocation; replacement Kieran Howden came in with intent to make an impact. He did just that early when the Yams attacked deep into the Shirley, capitalising on fast pill. All Shirley could do was continuously infringe at the breakdown to attempt to slow down the pace, leading to penalty after penalty.

Benjamin Fox kicked for touch and the Varsity lineout went to work with Nga Selby-Rickit proving too good in the air time after time. On an attacking lineout five metres out, Jamie Verstappen threw a perfect pill to Nga, setting up a brilliant rolling maul headed by Kieran Howden, driving the lads over the line for prop Justin Rafton to place down. Unfortunately the referee claimed it was knocked on over the line.

From this moment on, the referee, regardless of his lack of rugby intellect, really got to the Yams, especially a certain member of the back corps. Shirley would make the most of this lost opportunity by the Yams and threw hard running by their midfield, made in-roads down the paddock, eventually getting over in the left corner.

Like all season though, the Yams came right back with some power running of their own around the fringes of the rucks. Fraser Bryant and Ryan Lill broke numerous tackles in tight spaces down the left flank before finding centre Dan Hyndman and with his blistering pace brought the ball within a whisper of the goal line; scrummy Jaden Wallace then threw a skip pass to fullback Jonty Nesbitt who dove over the line. Benjamin Fox would make good on the conversion, going 2 from 3 on the day.

Shortly after, the Yams again would capitalise with quick ball as Shirley could not keep up with the wide-wide gameplan, allowing a major overlap on the right to see Nga Selby-Rickit over for his first of the season. Shirley would reply late in the half, giving Uni a 12-10 lead into the break. However the lads luck in the second half would quickly go from bad to worse. With the wind at their backs, the idea was to punish the Shirley back three with deep ball.

The play just seemed to not leave the Uni 22 though, allowing Shirley to pilfer at ruck time and exploit the gaps on the counter. Their strong ball runners, both in the forwards and the backs, found metres even running sideways and got over for two easy tries.

Coach Brixton then looked to the bench for the impact, in hopes that it would do the same as it had done a week earlier. Prop Vailoa Tiatia came on and scored almost immediately off a strong pick and go, with a Benjamin Fox conversion bringing the scores to back within 5. However that is when the wheels came off. Shirley would score a couple late, as their speedy fullback recovered two of his own chips to scanter over.

A day the Yams would like to soon forget, the boys still control their own destinies to make the final this Saturday on the veggie Patch with a number of key players returning. Captain Jamie Verstappen will be fulfilling the role of player-coach as Jared Brixton is absent in Australia.

Special mention has to go to Jamie Verstappen, Ryan Lill and Fraser Bryant who persevered in the forward pack till the end. Josh Westland was brave in the midfield till he went down with concussion symptons. The outside backs of Nesbitt, Nesbitt and Joubert proved a deadly trio.

Player’s Man of the Match: Josh Joubert, the Division 1 call up played an outstanding game on the wing and great addition to the back line


Prem Colts – Courtesy of Tim Stone

The copperheads came up against Sydenham in the plate semi-final this week.

This being the second game against Sydenham and with the season on the line it was a make or break day. From the kick off the boys certainly took it to Sydenham. The first ten minutes was a battle. But a mistake cost the copperheads and saw Sydenham score out wide.

Amazing work from Trent tipene saw him side step his way through the defence and score a brilliant individual try. From here on out vital mistakes were what kept Sydenham in the game with them scoring twice before half time.

Encouraging words from the coaches had the boys revved up for another half of battle. The boys showed what they had but again costly mistakes took the game away from them, with the final score blowing out to 8 – 37.

The score line didn’t reflect how much heart the boys showed with this being one of the best games they have played all season. This was potentially the last game of the season for the copperheads as they are not sure whether there is a playoff for 7th and 8th.

Player of the day was Charlie sofe


Tigers – Courtesy of Sef Erasito

Tigers win 42-29

I just want to let that sink in for a moment….

A bit more….

The Tigers got the highest points scored in the club this weekend, beating out Div 1 and the ever dominant Womens team.

So just let that sink in one last time….

Ok now on to the match report:

We scored a lot of tries and we won! After losing last week to the team we will most likely face in next weeks final, we needed to score a lot of tries and we needed to win. We did that. They came back in the last quarter but by then, I think the boys were comfortable with the scoreboard and the effort dropped a couple of notches.

We are looking at the finals next week against Marist but there is a small chance that we won’t be there: basically OT have to win with a bonus point and more than thirteen points and Marist have to lose with a bonus point for us not to be in the Final but the chances are high for us to be there.

With the penultimate game done, it’s about time that we’ve started to hit our straps and we are coming to need every bit of them if we want to win that plate final.

Special mention to Shannon ‘Goldie’ Goldsmith for coming off the bench and securing the win with two amazing tries that included his trademark ‘Goldie show-and-go, dummy kick, goose step’ that also got him the player of the day nod too.

There is still work to do before the final next week, defensive efforts need to be tightened up and small errors need will need to be eliminated but we are starting to come together and play as a team, and the hunger is definitely there.

Looking forward to next week.


Colts – Courtesy of Callum Taylor

The rattlers headed down to Bob Deans eager to make amends from the last performance against HSOB where we let an 18 point lead slip away. The rattlers came out firing and were able to nullify the opposition’s larger forward pack with some great line speed.

Some excellent defensive work combined with a level of mongrel previous not seen allowed the rattlers to amass a 14 nil lead. As the first half drew to a close HSOB were able to score try right on the hooter to cut into our lead.

Some stern words were said at halftime to ensure that a repeat of our last performance did not occur. Alas the fresh legs that were brought on by HSOB paid dividends against a tiring rattlers side.

The less said about the second half the better. To paraphrase Murray Mexted we were like a blind man in a brothel, just left groping, as some scything runs by the opposition allowed to score to blow out to 41 – 14.

The player of the day was Jeremy Aitken for making some excellent tackles down his wing.





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s