Newsletter Round 16 2016


Thank you to all the players, club members and friends of the club that managed to make it to the Old Maroons AGM last Thursday. A strong turnout was great for our Crusaders to see.


Held in the Clubrooms at the following times:

Div 2 – 5:20pm

Div 1 – 5:40pm

Women – 6:00pm

Colts Prem – 6:20pm

Colts – 6:40pm

Div 3 – 7:00pm



Click on this link to get your entries in for the upcoming Pong Champs being held on the 30th of July

Only space for 30 teams and the spots are filling up quick so don’t miss out!



Tickets for our UC Netball & UC Rugby Annual Dinner & Prizegiving will go on saleTHIS SATURDAY from 6pm at The Clubrooms.
They will also be available at the Clubrooms each Wednesday & Thursday throughout July from 5.30 – 6pm.

$45pp – Cash only please
Silks Lounge, Addington Raceway
Saturday 10th September
Doors open 5.15pm
Formalities begin 6pm sharp.
We hope to see another great turnout from our UC teams.
Live Band, awesome food (three course meal), great company!!




Clearwater Construction

Endeavour Software

Avonhead Tavern and X Golf



21st of July – Team Photos

30th of July – Beer Pong

10th of September – Prizegiving



Team –Tigers

Bar Manager – Keiran

Lock Up – Fluff


DRAW 23-07-16

Div 1 vs Sumner – 2.45pm, Ilam. (Plate Semi Final)

Women vs Suburbs – 1.00pm, Ilam (Trophy Semi Final)

Div 2 vs Shirley – 1.00pm, Ilam.

Prem Colts vs Sydenham – 1.00pm, Sydenham. (Plate Semi Final)

Div 3 vs Otautahi – 2.45pm, Bower Park.

Colts vs HSOB – 2.45pm, Bob Deans 3



At Ilam: Christchurch 20 vs University 18 

University probably deserved to win this by dint of making three touchdowns to one.

But all the home side’s tries were scored out wide and Finlay Christie wasn’t going to convert from there.

By contrast, Ben Volavola had four relatively easy goal chances for Christchurch, two of them from penalties in the third quarter which was the only scoring for the visitors in the second half.

There were three tries in a harum-scarum first quarter during which three players were in the sin-bin at the same time and Christchurch had a penalty try when University infringed against a compelling driving maul from a lineout.

University spread the ball well from the start, creating space out wide rather than cramping themselves with crab-wise running.

Cam Watkins had the first try early after hooker Elia Elia made the telling incision and centre Nigel Gibb put the first-five away down the right.

Braydon Ennor looked dangerous when the ball swung the other way. Then just on half-time Ennor bumped off his marker and regathered a chip-kick to score as Christchurch seemed to think the half was over.

If Ennor was good on the left wing for University, so too was Fraser Scott for Christchurch. A sharp break by the well-built speedster had lock Brad Tucker across after 15min and Scott showed his slipperiness and strength on other occasions.

But the one man on the park who looked the hungriest for success was University’s Caleb Aperahama. The rangy lock performed his core duties well and was outstanding on the carry. A big break by Aperahama in the last quarter led to University’s third try, scored by substitute loose forward Morgyn Cowan.

Volavola was a mixed bag for Christchurch. He tried a few crafty touches on attack from first-five which didn’t come off. But he nailed the goals that mattered and his precision punting carved off decent chunks of territory, something University could have done with.

The Christchurch forwards weren’t quite on top of their game collectively but were good enough to take the win. Loosehead prop Perry was a colossus after taking a first-quarter breather which he earned by throwing a punch when he was foot-tripped.

Ethan Plaskett made a good fist of the hooker’s duties, throwing to the lineouts as though he’d been doing it all his life and getting around the park with gusto.

University’s cause was not helped when dynamic No.8 Brad Hemopo went off injured early in the second half.



A last-minute try to barnstorming No.8 Usipua Similiae took Christchurch to a 15-11 win over University in the women’s curtain-raiser.

The win gave Christchurch top status going into the play-offs and also meant the side retained the Challenge Shield.

The power of the Christchurch scrum was a key factor in the match and second-five Lucy Anderson looked good in midfield while not having things all her own way against University’s Hannah Poff.

University looked to have earned success when fullback Livia McGovern raced away to score late in the piece. The wings defended well, particularly Keilamarita Puore-Lane. Kendra Cocksedge, the 2015 IRB women’s player of the year, showed her class from halfback.


The Yams were looking for a third win in three games in the round robin of the bowl on Saturday. With an earlier start of 12:30pm, there were some dusty faces turning up to South Hagley to play Marist-Albion.

Playing on what appeared to be the only hill in Christchurch, it was vital that Skipper Jew won the toss to be sure to take advantage of the slope, sun and wind. For the 16th consecutive week however, the Pirongia native could not pick the right side of the copper.

The Yams poor defensive structure was exposed early; deep kicks and Yams’ handling errors giving Marist the early momentum. The Green-and-whites crossed over twice in the first 10 minutes; once through the midfield and another out wide. It took until the second quarter for the Yams to get out of neutral and bounced back through the golden boot of Jamie Newman. Marist would score again before halftime through their explosive midfield and took a 19-3 halftime lead.

Player/Coach Jared “Brick” Brixton must have been youtubing halftime speeches because the Maroon and Yellows came out a different team in the second stanza. The Yams were electric from the restart and the old-fashioned Gary Owen in the low Christchurch sun proved too difficult for the Marist back three. It took only three phases in the half for Wing/Centre Dan Hydman to find some space to zig, zag and burrow his way to 50m solo effort try.

Difficulty in diffusing the high ball continued to cause problems for Marist which gave the Yams dominance in territory and possession. From a ruck on their own 10m line, a typical Jaden-Wallace-miracle-ball put the Skipper in a hole and he was eventually brought down on the opposition 22. From the ruck, halfback Jaden “Wally” Wallace identified the space out wide but also the big men that were required to shift the pill. Being the visionary and masterclass that he is, Wally immediately decided the best option was to put the ball to his boot in order to reach lurking winger, Oscar Nesbitt. Appearing to have the ball on a string, Wally’s kick landed on a dime and gave Nesbitt the easiest try of his Yams career. Newman obliged with the boot and narrowed the score to 19-15.

Marist struck back with a lucky try before the two sides exchanged penalties. 29-18 down, the Yams desperately needed tries and were able to cross through Skipper Jew after a set-piece lineout move, once again the superstar halfback being the influential factor. Jew then went on another surging run and found veteran loosie Jorn Dykstra who galloped 25m to score what seemed to be the winning try. A well taken conversion by Newman gave the Yams a 30-29 lead with four minutes to play.

Another error at kickoff gave Marist a good attacking opportunity. A ruck penalty in front of the horns and successful penalty goal gave Marist a 32-30 lead with 2 minutes to play. Marist were unable to contain a high restart and the Yams soon found themselves hot on attack. A series of crisp passing and strong runs lead to an overlap on the left flank which Jamie Newman exploited, tiptoeing and weaving himself to the corner. The one handed dive over the chalk was referred to the assistant referee who was satisfied with the grounding, giving the Yams their fourth win in the trot.

Man of the Match: Jamie “Jew” Verstappen- Real Captain’s performance; scored a try, set up another and didn’t pass like his usual down-syndrome self.

Final Score: 35-32 Win Tries: Dan Hydman, Oscar Nesbitt, Jamie Verstappen, Jorn Dykstra, Jamie Newman Conversions: Jamie Newman (2) Penalties: Jamie Newman (2)



The match played against Linwood was a must win for the Copperheads this week, in order to keep our season alive. Having beaten Linwood in a closely contested match a few weeks earlier, we knew they would be a tough nut to crack.

With a shaky start by the Copperheads, a number of errors put the boys immediately under pressure. Linwood were first to score, with a scrum in mid-field followed by a brilliant backs try which led to a stern word from captain Josh Proctor, putting the boys back on track. After conceding the try the lads stood up and began to play to our game plan, drawing in the bigger Linwood forwards then spreading wide to our speedsters out wide. This tactic proved very effective with half back and play maker Nelson McCallum drawing in the last Linwood defender to put first five Cullen Regan Simpson away down the sideline, his usually average pace being just enough to reach the try line. This was closely followed with prop Scott Murray charging over the line to score after a sustained period of attack.

Going into the second half with a strong lead the lads let the pressure off Linwood, going back to unstructured rugby which led to Linwood bringing the score back to within one try, busting through out wide each time. The certain highlight of both the second half, potentially the season came late in the second half when we were getting desperate for points. Hooker Nick Williams, sitting out in the back line, crashed onto a flat ball and went straight through a gap. Dashing toward the 22m with surprising pace he then offloaded the pill to player of the day Harry Ferguson, who scored under the sticks. Following this piece of brilliance, the lads were back on defence, showing a lot of heart not to let Linwood over the line. This last piece of defence closing out the match with the final score coming to 24-19, meaning the boys have a huge match this weekend for our semi-final.

Special mention goes to Kieran Hunt for making his first tackle of the season.



Not the way we wanted to start a charge for the plate championship. We went down 20 something – 7 to Marist Albion. And in doing so we lost the chance of getting the prestigious shield and the possibility of hosting the final. There is still a slim chance of achieving both but results of other games will have to go our way.

The first 40 minutes went by super-fast, in my opinion, and for the most part we were our own worst enemy dropping passes, giving some wayward passes, losing the ball in contact. We went in the game to play some really attacking, running rugby and we just forced the mistakes and couldn’t get any momentum in that first half.

The second half proved a lot better for us, as we got a bit of a rhythm going, and once we realised that Marist didn’t want to tackle, the ball runners started charging at their defence, knocking over at least one defender.

It’s going to be an exciting for weeks for the Tigers, mostly because we know that we’ve got every bit of a chance to grab that plate and we’ve got plenty of potential to unleash on the field. Our main priority will be to continue to play as a team, support each other, back ourselves, play smart and just get a lot more mongrel for the win.



The colts came up against Merivale-Papanui this week, for what was our first shield defense after winning it last week. We struggled to come out of the gates firing and were quickly down on the score board letting in an easy try. The physicality of the Merivale-Papanui team then quickly began to take its toll on the team, with 4 or 5 boys all going down in quick succession. We were forced to quickly regroup and attempt to bring some structure back into our game. With many chances to score we struggled to convert these opportunities into points. We finally dotted down with Kyle Fearn going over late in the first half, going into the break down by two tries.

The second half was a similar story as we couldn’t convert spells of pressure into points. We struggled with the physicality at rucks and set piece which allowed the Merivale-Papanui side to score one more try. Going into the final minutes of the game we managed to gather some composure and were applying considerable pressure. This allowed us to roll a mall over the line for a try as the last play.

The final score was 27-10.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s